Review of Ada Limon’s poem ‘Privacy’

 

Review of Ada Limon’s poem ‘Privacy’

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/03/22/privacy

I request readers to read the poem first from the link above, and then only my review. Thanks.

The poem stands out for two reasons. The first one is distinguishing between privacy and loneliness and the other one is appropriate use of mythology.

‘Huggin’ and ‘Munin’ were the two ravens who were the messengers from mankind to God Odin, as per Norse mythology. How nice and crucial it would be, if there could be a pair of birds today, to convey what is happening on earth and our messages to Him! No wonder the poet visualized that she could convert the pair of crows with a spell into two ravens of mythology. But she couldn’t and the crows took off.

Privacy is when I choose not to have a companion, partner, witness or help with me and focus on something I cherish and handle on my own. The length of the private time and my right to privacy are invaluable for me; whereas loneliness is often contextual. I am alone for a reason or no reason. The main difference is my loneliness is an open book and not my privacy. Her anguish about the cruelty and lack of human values are reflected in the following lines:

‘What news
are they bringing of our world to the world
of the gods? It can’t be good. More suffering
all around, more stinging nettles and toxic
blades shoved into the scarred parts of us,
the minor ones underneath the trees.’

The poet has exploited the liberties available in the genre and the reader is able to relate with her journey from mythology to the contemporary issues because the values / shortcomings of our lineage is deep rooted in our psychology.

 


 


Comments

Popular Posts